Kenneth M. Cymbal, JD, LLM, CLU®
Advanced Markets Consultant
Ken Cymbal joined KBM Consulting in 2020 as an Advanced Markets Consultant with over more than 30 years of experience working in the estate and business planning area of several major life insurance companies. Ken provides consultative services for KBM in developing and recommending innovative planning solutions to address our clients’ needs primarily in estate planning, retirement planning, business succession, executive benefits, and special needs planning.
Most recently, he provided consulting services to Penn Mutual and has worked closely with the Bernkopf Goodman Law Firm in Boston as an expert witness in insurance litigation. Additionally, Ken held the position of Assistant Vice President in MassMutual’s Advanced Markets Group and prior to joining MassMutual, Ken worked in a similar position at MetLife for more than 23 years.
Ken received his Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa from Miami University and his law degree and MBA from Ohio State University. He received his LL.M. from the Boston University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program. In addition, Ken is a Charted Life Underwriter (CLU) designation and a member of the Bar in Massachusetts. Ken has also presented at several development sessions at AALU’s Annual Meeting.
Ken is currently an Associate Editor of the Journal of Financial Services Professionals and has written numerous articles for publications such as the AALU Quarterly, Journal of Financial Services Professionals, National Underwriter and Life Insurance Selling. His publications include:
- The National Underwriter, Transferring the Family Business, online edition, June 17, 2011
- Life Insurance Selling magazine, Before Converting, Consider the Big Picture, June 2011
- Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Private or Family Split-Dollar Arrangements, March 2012
- Life Insurance Selling magazine, How the Permanent Estate Tax Will Impact Life Insurance Ownership, September 2013; online edition, July 26, 2013
- Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Choosing a Family Member as Trustee of an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust, September 2013
- Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Private Split-Dollar Exit Strategies, September 2014
- Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Tax Basis Planning, July 2015
- Journal of Financial Service Professionals, Increasing the Odds of Making a Successful Roth IRA Conversion, May 2016, co-authored with Thomas Barrett.
Ken lives with his wife, Zhanna, and his son, Justin, in Wakefield, MA. In his free time, he enjoys taking organized bike trips, hiking in the national parks, and skiing out west.
Ken has also been active in protecting pristine Conway Lake in New Hampshire’s White Mountains.